Share with friends
All glass igloo hotels to experience a night under the stars and try your luck to see the Northern Lights.
Most glass igloo are located in Lapland, above the Arctic circle. Best time to see the Northern Lights from an igloo is between August - April. Some igloo villages are open all year round for unique overnight experience.
Most glass igloo resorts are located in Finnish Lapland.
3 main areas and airports where igloos are located:
- Rovaniemi airport, next to Santa Claus village;
- Ivalo airport, Kakslauttanen - Saariselka - Ivalo - Inari area;
- Kittila airport, Levi ski resort.
The further north, the more chances to see the Northern Lights and the Aurora intensity will be brighter.
In our opinion, the best igloo hotels in Finland to see the Northern lights are:
- Golden Crown Levin Iglut (Levi resort, Kittila airport). Igloos are located top of the fell. Panorama view. Comfortable glass igloos.
- Wilderness Hotel & Igloos Inari (Inari village, Ivalo airport). The northernmost igloo hotel in Finland.
- Star Arctic Hotel (Saariselka resort, Ivalo airport). Small hotels with Aurora Cabins, located to of the mountain with panorama view. Hotel switch off the lights after 22.00 in case of Aurora.
- Snowman World Glass Resort (Santa Claus village, Rovaniemi airport). The most luxury glass accommodation in Rovaniemi with private sauna and own outdoor heated jacuzzi under the stars.
It is not possible to guarantee that you'll see the Northern Lights during your stay as soon as it is a natural phenomena. Glass igloo hotels provide a lot of information and stories about the Aurora. Most of them use Aurora alarm services and wake up the guests if the Northern lights are visible on the sky.
Average glass igloo hotel price in Finland is 320-450€/night.
During high season like Christmas and New Year holidays price can be 2 times higher.
Discounts may apply for off season time: September - November, or end of the snow season in April.
The best things to do in Lapland and "must do", included almost in all Lapland packaged tour:
1. Visit Santa Claus village
2. Go husky safari
3. Do snowmobile tour
4. Visit reindeer farm
5. Try smoked reindeer meet and Finnish salmon soup
Those are the main activities suits even for a short Lapland holidays.
The best igloo hotels to try all activities in 1 place are located in Rovaniemi, next to Santa Claus village: Snowman World Glass Resort, Santa Igloos Arctic Circle.
Those accommodation are conveniently located next door from Santa Claus office, Husky farm, Reindeer ride track in the forest, Snowmobile renting company and restaurants with Finnish food.
Glass igloo hotels suit for 1-2 nights stay during the Lapland trip as an experience. If your holiday time is 5-7 nights in Lapland, it is worth to stay in a log cabin rest of the time.
There are Levi, Pyha or Saariselka ski resorts offering wide variety of self-catering log cabins to stay. Activity providers also concentrate around those resorts.
Estimate your Lapland Holidays Travel Cost including stay in a glass igloo, basic Lapland activities and food. Play with a trip planner below to get a raw price estimation and some ideas of Lapland itinerary.
Complete list of glass igloo accommodation in Finland. The northernmost and wilderness located igloos are ideal for Northern Lights chasing. Glass accommodation in Central Finland is an unique overnight experience in the nature under the stars.
Glass igloo is an accommodation with glass roof to experience a night under the sky. Is is designed to see the starry sky and possibly the Northern lights from a bed beneath the transparent roof. Glass igloo experience suits for a romantic gateway or very special Lapland experience.
The roof of glass igloos is usually made from electrically heated glass. It helps to keep the warmth and melt the snow and ice for a better view.
Glass igloos are electrically heated and comfortable even if there is extreme cold temperatures outside. Majority of modern igloo accommodation has all facilities like shower and wc for a comfort stay. Some luxury options have own sauna or outdoor heated jacuzzi, little kitchenette or tea and coffee facilities.
Glass igloos in Finland are located in Lapland within the Aurora Zone in the main, around or to the north of the Arctic Circle. It is believed that the north the igloo is located, the more chances to see the Northern lights.
Most popular areas in Finland where glass igloos are concentrated: Rovaniemi and Santa Claus village, Levi ski resort, Saariselka ski resort and Kakslauttanen area.
1. The easiest way to get to Lapland all year round: take a flight to Helsinki airport in Finland and then local flight to one of the Lapland airports:
# Rovaniemi airport - the central hub of Lapland.
Igloo resorts located near: Arctic Glass Igloos Sinettä, Snowman World Glass Resort, Santa's Igloos Arctic Circle, Apukka resort.
# Kittilä airport.
Igloo resorts located near: Golden Crown Levin Iglut (Igloo), Levi Northern Lights Huts, Northern Lights Ranch.
# Ivalo airport
Igloo resorts located near: Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort Igloos, Northern Lights Village Saariselka, Muotka Igloos, Wilderness Aurora lodge, Aurora Village Ivalo, Lake Inari Mobile Cabins, Star Arctic Hotel.
2. Another way: take a flights to Helsinki and then take a comfortable night train from Helsinki to Rovaniemi, Kemijärvi or Kolari. This is a good way to skip a night in Helsinki. Train arrives to Lapland early morning and it is still almost full day there for activities.
Yes, it is possible. Glass igloos are specially designed to see the sky from a bed. They are tended to be oriented toward the north or with open panorama view over the lake or from up-hill.
Staying at a glass igloo does not increase the chances to see the Northern Lights, as the weather and cloudiness is always the biggest factor no one can predict. But is gives an unique overnight experience. And if you are lucky the view will be amazing.
Some glass igloo hotels provide Aurora alarm service not to miss it.
Glass igloo rates in Finland are from 250€/night during low season up to 990€/night during high Christmas and New Year holidays.